Did you know that there’s a (not-so) secret tool in your ExpressTaxFilings account that can automatically get you an extra 30 days to e-file your 1094, 1095, and 1099 Forms with the IRS??
Well, there is and it’s called Form 8809!
Form 8809 is also known as the Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns and filing it can get you an automatic 30-day extension to file any of these IRS Forms:
- -Form 1042-S (Annual Withholding Tax Return for U.S. Source Income of Foreign Persons)
- -Form 1094-C (Transmittal of Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage Information Returns)
- -Form 1095-B (Health Coverage)
- -Form 1095-C (Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage)
- -Form 1097 (Bond Tax Credit)
- -Form 1098 (Mortgage Interest Statement)
- -Form 1099 (Various Information Reporting Forms)
- -Form 3921 (Exercise of an Incentive Stock Option)
- -Form 3922 (Transfer of Stock Acquired Through An Employee Stock Purchase Plan)
- -Form 5498 (IRA Contribution Information)
- -Form 5498-ESA (Coverdell ESA Contribution Information)
- -Form 5498-QA (ABLE Account Contribution Information)
- -Form 5498-SA (HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA Information)
- -Form 8027 (Employer’s Annual Information Return of Tip Income and Allocated Tips)
- -Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement)
- -Form W-2G (Guam Wage and Tax Statement)
You don’t need to provide an excuse for why you need an extension, but you do need to e-file your Form 8809 by the original deadline of the form you’re extending. For Forms 1094, 1095, and 1099 (except for those reporting nonemployee compensation), that deadline is this Friday, March 31, 2017.
Now, once you’re approved for your initial 30-day extension, you can apply for an additional 30 days to get everything done, but this second extension is going to require a reason and must be filed on paper. To get even more time, you’ll need to be approved for an initial extension, then complete a paper copy of Form 8809, attach a reason for your request, and mail it to
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Extension of Time Coordinator
240 Murall Drive, Mail Stop 4360
Kearneysville, WV 25430
Your second Form 8809 must be submitted before your new extended deadline to be considered.
But let’s bring the focus back to the first extension application: you can e-file Form 8809 right now through your ExpressTaxFilings account for only $3.55! So if you’re worried about that deadline coming up Friday, go ahead and e-file Form 8809 real quick to give yourself some breathing room between now and your new deadline.
And if you have any questions about Form 8809 or the upcoming deadline, don’t hesitate to give us a shout! We’re available by phone (704-684-4751) and live chat Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST and 24/7 at support@ExpressTaxFilings.com!