Amending Your 1099 & W-2 Forms

While some people are still working to complete the initial filing of their 1099 and W-2 forms, others are working on amending what they’ve already filed. That’s why we’re taking the time today to go over e-filing 1099 and W-2 corrections with ExpressTaxFilings/ExpressIRSForms!

The Basics

  • -You can e-file 1099 and W-2 corrections (official names: 1099 Correction Form and Form W-2c) with ExpressIRSForms, even if you didn’t file your original returns with us.
  • -Two types of errors can be corrected on 1099 correction forms, and four types of errors for W-2 forms. Don’t worry; we ’ll get to those later.
  • -If you realize your error within 24 hours after you file, check your ExpressIRSForms account! Typically, there’s a Correction button on the Dashboard next to your Submitted Forms that, when clicked early enough, will alert us that you made an error so we can recall your return. You’ll then be able to fix your mistake(s) and retransmit, and the IRS will be none the wiser.
  • -If you have any questions about e-filing a correction after you read this blog, get in touch with our customer support team! We’re happy to help by
    • -phone, Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, at (704) 839-2270,
    • -live chat, Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, through our website, and
    • -email, 24/7, at

1099 Corrections
If you need to correct a 1099 Form, and it’s too late to recall your return, take a breather and embrace the Hakuna Matata philosophy, because there’s nothing you can do until the IRS has processed and either accepted or rejected your form(s). If they reject your form, you’ll just need to log back into your ExpressIRSForms account, follow the steps to correct your form, and retransmit completely free.

If your 1099 Form gets accepted, you’ll need to file a 1099 Correction Form. You can do this by clicking Start New Form from your Dashboard then selecting 1099 Corrections. The program will then guide you through correcting one of the two 1099 error types:

  • -Type 1 Errors: errors that occur when an incorrect tax amount(s), code, check box, or payee name was reported, or when a form was filed and it shouldn’t have been.
  • -Type 2 Errors: errors that occur when a payee number (TIN, SSN, EIN, etc.) is missing, the payee name and/or address is incorrect, or one 1099 form was filed when another should’ve been (ex. 1099-MISC used to file a 1099-DIV).

You’ll then pay and transmit your correction forms, and slip back into that problem-free philosophy until next year’s filings.

If you realize you have a large number of 1099s that need to be corrected for multiple recipients, it may be best to contact the IRS at 1-866-455-7438 for more direct assistance.

W-2 Corrections
Filing Form W-2c is less Hakuna Matata, more the scene in Cinderella when the animals spring into action to help her get dressed. As soon as you discover you need to make a correction on a W-2, you’ll need to file Form W-2c and send a new form to your employee. But there are a few ways to do that, depending on what you need to correct:

  • -Employee’s Name and/or SSN: When filing Form W-2c, only complete boxes d through i, leaving boxes 1 through 20 blank.
    • -If an employee receives a new SS card with a different name or SSN following a resident status adjustment, file a Form W-2c for the most current year only.
  • -Employee’s Address: If the only thing wrong with your W-2 Form was the employee’s address, you don’t need to file Copy A of Form W-2c with the SSA. You do, however, need to provide a corrected W-2 to your employee by:
    • -issuing a new, correct W-2 Form to your employee with REISSUED STATEMENT on the new copy,
    • -issuing a W-2c Form to your employee with the proper address in box i, with all other accurate information, or
    • -reissuing the W-2 Form with the incorrect address to your employee in an envelope showing the correct address.
  • -An Incorrect Tax Year and/or EIN: Put the tax year and EIN you initially reported, then enter the money amounts from your original W-2 Form in the “Previously Reported” boxes. Put zeros (0) in the “Correction Information” boxes. You’ll also need to prepare a second W-2c for each employee affected. Enter the correct tax year and/or EIN, zeros (0) in the “Previously Reported” boxes and the money amounts in the “Correct Information” boxes.
  • -More than One W-2 for an Employee: There are two options for Form W-2c when you filed more than one W-2 Form under the same EIN for an employee and needed to make a correction. You can either (1) consider all the W-2s when deciding what amounts to put on the W-2c, or (2) file a single W-2c Form to correct only the incorrect W-2.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *