As 2017 quickly comes to a close, many business owners and employers have begun preparing W-2 Forms for their employees to be distributed by January 31, 2018. Recently, the IRS partnered with several payroll service providers to expand the pilot used to verify the authenticity of Form W-2 data for the upcoming 2018 filing season to eliminate tax-related identity theft and refund fraud.
Many employers will be provided with a customized 16-character verification code to include on the Form W-2 of their employees. This code should be displayed in Box 9 (Verification Code) of the W-2 Form.
As an e-filer you will be prompted to enter this code through the software, if applicable. This code will assist the IRS in validating the W-2 data submitted with your return. Verification codes will not be entered on paper-filed returns.
Employers who have not received a verification code by the IRS can simply leave Box 9 blank. W-2 Forms without Box 9 are exempt from providing a verification code as well.
FYI: Verification Codes
There are few brief things you should know about IRS Verification Codes:
- Verification codes will be displayed in four groups of four alphanumeric characters, separated by hyphens. For example, XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
- Letters A-F and Numerals 0-9 are the only valid characters for the code
- Verification codes will appear on Form W-2 copies B (“To be filed with employee’s federal tax return”) and C (“For employee’s records”).
- Taxpayers without a verification code may leave the verification code box blank.
- Entering the verification code when prompted during the e-filing process will speed up the processing of the return and issuance of the refund.
- The verification code will not be included in Forms W-2 or W-2 data submitted by Payroll Service Providers to the Social Security Administration or any state or local departments of revenue. Nor will this pilot affect state and local income tax returns or paper federal returns.
Filing Form W-2 With TaxBandits
Filing Form W-2 is easier than you think; especially with TaxBandits! In just five steps you can handle your tax filing responsibilities and eliminate unnecessary stress with the following required information.
- Employer Details: Name, EIN, Employer Code, Employer Type, and Address
- Employee Details: Name, SSN, Address, and Contact Information
- Federal Details: Federal Income and Federal Tax Withheld
- State Filing Details: State Income and State Tax Withheld
Furthermore, when you file your W-2 returns with TaxBandits, you can access or download all the required copies of your Form W-2 from our print center and have them mailed directly to your employees.
We’re Here to Help
This year, and years to come, experience hassle-free tax filing with TaxBandits. If you have any questions at all about your W-2 Form please don’t hesitate to contact the dedicated, US-based TaxBandits support team. We’re available over the phone Monday – Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 704.684.4751. We also offer live chat and 24/7 email support at support@TaxBandits.com.